Zim Lines

The Last Ocean Liners

 

Zim Lines The Zim Israel Navigation Company began operations in 1947 transporting immigrants to the new nation of Israel. Originally using second hand ships, by the mid 1950s they were able to order new ocean liners for Mediterranean and transatlantic service. At the end of the decade demand had increased such that Zim Lines wanted to upgrade the transatlantic route and ordered the Shalom, which would be their largest and fastest passenger ship ever.

Zim Lines Following the latest ship designs, Shalom had engines aft with two side-by-side funnels. Staterooms were of a very high standard in both classes, with almost all having two lower beds and folding upper berth and all except eight with private facilities. The First class outdoor pool was on Boat Deck, followed by First class suites and staterooms on Olive Branch Deck forward. Rainbow Deck forward contained more First class cabins, the "Circle" lounge and library. The Tourist class "Havah Nagilah" lounge was midship followed by the tavern and outdoor pool aft. Tourist class cabins were on Doves, Restaurant, A and B-Decks. The theater, shopping center and indoor pool were shared by both classes.

"... Few words do justice to this ultra modern 25,300 gross ton luxury liner. Rising ten decks, she boasts spacious public rooms decorated by some of the most famous artists of Israel, Europe and America..."

Zim Lines Each year during the spring and fall holidays, there were long cruises with extended time in Israel. The spacious design facilitated dual use of the Shalom as a transatlantic liner in summer and cruise ship in winter. Eventually the lack of a running mate, Israeli labor costs and declining business resulted in her sale to German Atlantic Line as a replacement for their Hanseatic of 1930.

Continued below...



Go to Zim Lines sailing schedules or select a specific ship below.


Shalom - 1964 - Zim Lines
Shalom Zim Lines
Built: 1964 by Penhoet, St Nazaire, France Gross tons: 25338 Length: 629ft (192m) Width: 81ft (25m) Depth: 26ft (8m) Speed: 20kn Power: 25000 shp Propulsion: Steam turbines twin screw Passengers: 148 First 864 Tourist End of service: Sold 1967